Meditation is considered to be the practice of concentrated focus on something like an object, a musical piece, a pleasant sound of something, breathing process etc.
You can apply the process of concentration on variety of objects, processes or sounds. You can choose any one according to your liking , experience or convenience. Many types of meditation techniques have been developed for thousands of years leading to physiological, psychological and spiritual benefits.
The immediate effect of meditation is relaxation of nervous system. The body feels light. The mind is relaxed. The heart feels overjoyed. Over a long period of time, meditation affects a person at physiological, psychological and spiritual levels.
At the physiological level meditation helps in :
- Lowering oxygen consumption.
- Decreasing respiratory rate .
- Increasing blood flow and slowing the heart rate.
- Increasing exercise tolerance.
- Reducing anxiety attacks.
- Decreasing muscle tension
- Helping in post-operative healing.
- Improving the immune system.
- Enhancing energy level.
- Helping in weight loss.
- Decreasing the aging process.
- Making you sweat less.
- Curing headaches & migraines.
- Relaxing the nervous system.
At psychological level meditation helps in :
- Building self-confidence.
- Increasing serotonin level that influences mood and behaviour.
- Fighting phobias & fears.
- Controlling own thoughts.
- Increasing concentration.
- Increasing creativity.
- Improving learning ability and memory.
- Increasing emotional stability.
- Slowing down the aging process of brain.
- Developing intuition.
- Increasing productivity.
- Improving inter personal relations at home & at work.
- Improving patience level.
- Helping ignore petty issues.
- Increasing ability to solve complex problems.
- Developing will power.
- Responding more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
- Increasing job satisfaction.
- Reducing dependency on medicines.
- Curing insomnia.
- Decreasing wasteful thinking.
- Decreasing the tendency to worry.
- Improving communication skills.
- Increasing self-confidence.
- Making quick and prudent judgments.
- Above all, in making balanced personality.
At spiritual level meditation is helpful in :
- Providing peace of mind and happiness.
- Helping in forgiveness.
- Helping living in the present moment by letting go the past.
So, why not spend at least five minutes daily ,for this exercise?
To start with, just find out the place where there are no distractions. It can be a separate room or any other place. You can try it in your office cabin also.
The Process of Meditation involves:
- Sit comfortably in any position, on ground or on chair.
- Close your eyes.
- Concentrate on your every single breathe, inhaling as well as exhaling.
Note: Don’t force shutting your eyes, rather it should be an easy going process.
Immediately after this process, you feel the result. You feel weightlessness, mental and physical. Initially you start with three minutes and gradually you may increase the time as per your own wish, comfort or aim as to what you actually want.